28 August 2010

If it ain't twisted...

... It's not a burger!

Ever since Twisted Root opened near downtown Dallas I have been a fan. Even before "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" hit the scene, the line at lunch often ran down the block. So, what's the big fuss over a burger joint?

Twisted Root is run by 3 professionally trained chefs using the best local and seasonal ingredients in all their products. When it's in season, you can find Elk, Bison, Venison, and Ostrich on the menu. Their veggie burger is spicy and house made with balck beans and corn. The sesoned curly fries are amazing, that is until you try the fried green beans and onion strings!

After placing your order, you are given a laminated card with a celebrities name on it (last time I was Brittany Spears). When your order is ready, Chef Quincy Hart calls out your name using impressions and sound effects. He is a hoot!
On my last visit, I ordered the veggie burger on a whole wheat bun (vegan!) topped with sauteed onions, lettuce, cheddar, and guacamole. All of the sauces are made in house, and I recommend Granddad's Famous BBQ Sauce. I also love the chipotle ketchup and dijon horseradish mustard. To go with my fairly healthy option, I split the Fried Ride with my two buddies. This basket of sides, more like a tray, contains servings of fried pickles, green beans, onion strings, curly fries, and sweet potato chips served with buttermilk and southwestern Ranch dressing. Total coronary but worth it!

To wash it all down we each had an Amaretto-Oreo Adult milkshake- yum! All in all, it wasn't a very balanced meal and sure, that much fried food isn't really good for you. However, I think it's important not to deny your self what you want (as long as you aren't hurting anyone) and some times a few onion rings are just what the doctor ordered!

No comments: