05 April 2010

Meat Free Monday

Today's Meat Free Monday is brought to you by meat free Easter. Since I knew I was going to my parents Monday, I decided to dedicate Easter to the veggie cause! Easter is always a tough food time for me as ham is traditionally served and I haven't eaten pork in at least 10 years. The whole thing was a lot easier than I imagined.

We brunched at Ozona Grill since they have a beautiful patio and extensive Make Your Own Bloody Mary bar. They also have several vegetarian options on the brunch menu. After my second bloody mary (complete with horseradish and picked green beans- I love it spicy), I ordered the Eggs Benedict-O; a veggie version of the classic with sauteed spinach and mushrooms taking the play of the bacon. I love brunch, but it's always hard for me to find something to order. I refuse to order something that I make at home, so french toast, pancakes, even migas, were out. Eggs Benedict is something I never order- it's too rich and to "hammy". This option was perfect and delicious.

Our next stop was Barcadia, a place I usually couldn't pay people to go! Now, it seems as if my friends are in on the fun, and who wouldn't be? Classic arcade games, giant Jenga and Connect Four, plus great food and an extensive draft beer list. I was so full from brunch that I didn't have much more than a couple bits of my friends fries and some hummus. The only negative thing I can say about the hummus is to avoid if you like flavor. It's pretty mild (bland) stuff in desperate need of roasted garlic or red peppers. After stealing a few bites of that, I knew it was time to go home and eat some of the good stuff.

Dinner was roasted garlic hummus (I can't remember the brand, but it's made locally in Texas) with an Ezekiel pita pocket and some green bean casserole. It was so good and I was so exhausted I feel asleep on the couch. When I woke up, it had only been an hour but I listened to my body and headed to bed at 10 o'clock!

All in all, it was a wonderful Easter and I am thankful for all my friends who spent it with me.

PS- Recently, I wrote about a vegan cheese by Daiya. It is currently difficult to find in all markets and must be ordered. The other day, I received an email from them saying that they were rolling out to every Whole Foods in the country this spring! I can't believe I cannot find the email to thank her personally, but thank you! Look for it soon.

No comments: